(ANSA) – ROME, SEP 13 – Prosecutors in the northern Italian
city of Pavia have opened a probe into the alleged abduction of
Eitan Biran, the six-year-old Israeli boy who was the sole
survivor of the Mottarone mountain cable-car disaster in
Piedmont in May, after his maternal grandfather took him back to
Israel at the weekend.
Eitan's parents, great grandparents and two-year-old brother
were among the 14 victims of the disaster.
Eitan, who moved to Italy with his parents in 2018, had been put
into the care of his Italian-based paternal aunt, Aya Biran, by
the Italian authorities.
The boy's maternal family last month said they would mount a
legal challenge against this decision, saying the child was
being held "hostage".
He was reportedly was driven across the border to Switzerland
and flown to Tel Aviv with a private jet after being taken out
by his maternal grandfather on Saturday.
Cristina Pagni, one of Aya Biran's lawyers, said Monday that she
as going to talk to a judge about appealing to the 1980 Hague
Abduction Convention to bring he boy back to Italy.
The child's family in Israel told local media that he was being
given "psychological and medical care" at a hospital on the
outskirts of Tel Aviv. (ANSA).
News from Italy